Cigarettes butts are often found on resident’s balconies. The risk to persons and property is real: 1 in 3 fire-related deaths in Vancouver since 2001 are attributed to smokers materials, making this a leading cause of home fires in the region.
Tossed cigarettes and lighters have caused multiple apartment building fires over the years, most recently in Gastown at the end of April 2019.
If you do smoke we look for your support and help to keep your community safe, and hope the following tips from regional fire departments can be of assistance:
• Never toss hot cigarette butts over the balcony or out a window.
• Never toss hot cigarette butts or ashes in the trash.
• Use a sturdy ashtray with a wide, stable base or a can filled with sand to collect ashes.
• Soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before throwing them away.
• Chairs and sofas catch on fire fast and burn fast. Don’t put ashtrays on them.
• Never smoke in bed.
• If you are drowsy or falling asleep, put it out.
Thank you for your immediate attention and cooperation.